I'm beginning a new thing called Beautiful People created by Sky and Georgie. They invented it to "discover your characters" and I thought I'd give it a shot. I was debating with myself whether to use Charisma from the Popular series or this girl, Emma and Travis from a book I just recently started. I decided to go with Emma and Travis just because I'm still trying to figure out who they are.
1) What is their full name? Emma Leigh Jameson and Travis Michael Waters
2) Does his or her name have a special meaning? Emma: Not really. The name Emma means "universal" and Leigh means"fair-haired courageous one." I really like the meaning of Leigh because it totally relates to my character who just happens to be fair-haired and courageous. Travis: Travis means "to cross over" and Michael means "who resembles God?" I think both names make a lot of sense considering the facts that his character helps Emma's cross over to another mindset and he loves God with everything in him.
3) Does your character have a methodical or disorganized personality? Emma: I'd say she's more organized and methodical. She's a nanny so she kind of has to be. Travis: He's a little bit of both. He's methodical for his daughter, Heidi and disorganized all other times. That's why he needs Emma.
4) Does he or she think inside themselves more than they talk out loud to their friends? (more importantly, does he or she actually have friends?) Emma: I think she thinks more than she talks. She talked to her uncle a lot but after he died she kind of retreated into herself and didn't talk to anyone else until Travis came along. She has a few friends but because she's so reserved they're more like acquaintances. Travis: He speaks his mind with abandon. He cares not what people think of him and he has no fear of rejection.
5) Is there something he or she is afraid of? Emma: Losing someone else who she loves is probably her biggest fear. That's why she's so hesitant to fully befriend Travis, for fear that he'll reject her like so many others have. Travis: He only fears for Emma and Heidi's safety and well-being. Other than that he has no fear.
6) Does he or she write, dream, dance, sing, or photograph? Emma: Dance dance dance dance dance. That's kind of the plot of the whole book: her struggle to become a professional dancer. Travis: Dance dance dance dance dance. He's a professional dancer at New York's top dance studio (along with being the owner of the studio).
7) What is his or her favorite book? (or genre of books) Emma: I've never thought about that. I don't think she reads much other than the Bible though. She's either working or dancing or taking care of Travis's adopted daughter, Heidi. Travis: He'll read anything. Adventure, romance, tragedy, anything.
8) Who is his or her favorite author and/or someone who inspires him or her? Emma: Gene Kelly is her biggest inspiration because he was such a talented dancer. Him and her uncle who died. Travis: Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. Though their dance styles are both different from his.
9) Favorite flavor of ice cream? Emma: She doesn't eat ice cream. Only frozen yogurt or sherbet occasionally because of her strict dancer's diet. Travis: Cookies and cream.
10) Favorite season of the year? Emma: Fall, definitely. That's when she met Travis and that's when her view of things around her first started to change. Travis: Spring because it represents new beginnings.