Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

And That's All She Wrote {Day 7}


Jennie rocked slowly back and forth, fighting back tears. "How could they not like me?" She wondered aloud. "I did everything right!" She sniffed and looked up at the Anderson mansion. Her vision blurred. She looked down and sniffed. It was not supposed to happen this way.

"Jennie!" Drew raced across the lawn to her side but stopped when he noticed her expression. "You heard us talking didn't you?"

Jennie said nothing, but looked up at her boyfriend with tear-filled eyes. He sighed and sat on the ground by her swing. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." She choked out. "Gosh, why can't I do anything right?"

"Jennie . . ."

"No, Drew! You know it's me. It's always been me. I don't understand. It's 1953! Shouldn't men be allowed to choose girls for themselves by now?"

"Of course we are-"

"And your parents just don't get that! I try so hard. I dressed up, I answered all their questions politely, I helped clear the table after lunch. What is so wrong with me?" She choked as the tears spilled over her cheeks.

Drew reached up and gently grabbed her hand. "There's nothing wrong with you." His voice was tinged with both love and sadness. "They're just skeptical because you don't come from a rich family like I do. I think they're afraid to let me grow up, seeing as I'm their youngest." He paused and looked up into her face. "But you're my favorite, Jennie. And I'm keeping you."

Jennie smiled in spite of her tears. Drew rose to his feet, grabbed the ropes of the swing in his hands, and leaned down so his face was right in front of Jennie's. "You wanna get an ice cream?"

Jennie laughed and nodded and walked off with her hand in Drew's. She rested her head on his shoulder and breathed a sigh of relief. She had the best man in all of California. The Anderson's approval or not, everything was going to turn out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! I *adore* comments! Keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...