Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Enjolras

So . . . to get myself in the mood for Miss Pickwickian's Les Miserables blogging thingy I've decided to do a post on my favorite character in the book.

Enjolras.

I know, I know. He's not exactly one of the pivotal characters in the story but I love him. He is only in the book for a small amount of time and he isn't very important but he is also flipping amazing and I will tell you why.

First of all he's extremely attractive. Hugo doesn't give a very detailed description of him but he does mention that, "Enjolras, who was standing on the crest of the barricade, gun in hand, raised his beautiful, austere face." Hugo also refers to him as "handsome Enjolras" a few times. I think that's proof enough. I pictured him to look something like this:


 But you probably could've guessed that, right?

The other reason I love Enjolras is because of the beautifully inspirational speech he gives to his soldiers at the barricade before they go to war with the French army . . . knowing they will all die. It goes on for pages so I'll just throw in a few of my favorite part.

"Brothers, he who dies here dies in the radiance of the future, and we are entering a grave illuminated by the dawn."

This line made me fall in love with him. Please go read it for yourself if you already haven't. It is found in volume 5, book 1: The War Between Four Walls, chapter 5: The Horizon Which One Beholds From the Summit of the Barricade. I love it, and I hope you will too.

So that's Enjolras. There are many, many more reasons to love him, I just won't write them all down because I'd run out of daylight. Thanks for reading, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think! I *adore* comments! Keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...