Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

My Very Own Heroes

For Thanksgivings past, I typically have written an extensive, prettily-worded list of things that I am thankful for. I make sure I include little things and big things. But this year I'm taking a different route. I assume you all know by know that I am thankful for my Designer and my home, for symphony and adventure. So this year I'm going to go into a bit more detail about two things that I have been beyond blessed with:


My two best friends, Mel and Dallas.

I'll be honest, this year was hard. I dealt with so much betrayal and heartache. This February I was depressed to the point of being suicidal. But my Father rescued me and he used these gorgeous people to do so.

Let me start with Mel, the gorgeous, brilliant world-changer, my partner in crime, my co-future-crazy-chicken-lady (because cats are too mainstream), the Lola to my Charisma. We've known each other since I moved to Colorado in fourth grade and have been best friends since seventh. I witnessed all of her highs and lows and she celebrated with me and helped me through all of mine. Nine years have gone by since that first hello and she still has remained faithful, has never left my side, and oftentimes was the only person I felt that I could truly trust. I owe everything to her.

She's undoubtedly one of the strongest women I have ever met. The amount of crap she has endured over the course of her eighteen years is more than anyone should have to deal with in two lifetimes. She is a leader who seeks after her Father's heart like no one else I have ever seen. She is absolutely gorgeous, radiating Holy Spirit light through her every pore, loving in spite of being hurt, forgiving in spite of being kicked to the curb, and dancing in spite of the difficulty to hear the music at times. She has never allowed the world to make her hard and remains a hopeless romantic with a gentle and quiet spirit that is all too uncommon among today's women. She is such an inspiration to me.

Then there's Dallas, the passionate, beautiful history-maker, my pirate ship's first mate, my co-revolutionary, the Adalos to my Adara. We met two years ago when he joined the cast of a play I was a part of and he has blown my mind since day one. I won't lie, our relationship has been rocky and we have endured our share of trial and tribulation. But at the end of the day, I know I can always count on him. He has used letters and text messages to encourage me and sought me out when I was at my darkest. He opened my eyes to the truth that I am beautiful and helped me fight off every lie that has tried to take me down. I have been blessed by my relationship with him.

He's absolutely brilliant, though he would never say so. He's got so many great ideas on how to fix the city, help the nation, change the world. He's been hurt more than he deserves and has somehow managed to remain hopeful nonetheless. He's passionate - oh, so very passionate - and has a heart that pulses in time with that of our Designer. He's a sucker for a great story or a beautiful song, an artist and a musician whose talent is superb, and a leader with wisdom beyond his years. He's a lover and a fighter who isn't afraid to rebel against the societal norm and makes plans for when - not if - he will change the world. He makes me want to be a better version of myself.

I love them. My gosh, I couldn't even begin to put into words how much I love them. Both are God-sent, both are heroes, both are already shaking the foundations of the world with their fire and their love. I am beyond proud to claim them as my own.

I promise you, they are going to change the world. They've already changed mine.

1 comment:

  1. You honor me with Your words, my friend. I'll do my best to live up to them.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think! I *adore* comments! Keep 'em coming!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...